Healthy eating tips.
So many people get confused with all the different studies and conflicting advice on diet and nutrition. Eating healthfully does not have to be complicated. Here are a few simple tips that I have successfully shared with clients over the years to help them become healthier and select a more nutritious diet.
- Practice portion control. When it comes to weight control, how much you eat matters more than what you eat.
- Allow yourself to indulge a small portion of your favorite food.
- Deprivation does not work.
- Do not eat diet food (unless, of course, you really think it tastes delicious.)
- Limit soda and sugar sweetened beverages.
- Choose a variety of fresh and colorful fruits and vegetables.
- Choose locally grown produce and buy what’s in season.
- Eat real foods.
- Limit processed food and packaged foods with a long ingredient list containing words you can’t pronounce.
- When eating out, share a meal and enjoy the company.
- Enjoy your food and eat slowly.
- Cook more often (or learn to cook) .
- Eat whole grains instead of refined grains.
- Eat more plant based proteins instead of high fat meats.
- Choose healthy fats such as olive oil and nuts instead of unhealthy fats such as butter and margarine. But remember, fats have lots of calories, so don’t overdo it.
- Before eating, ask yourself, “am I hungry?”